Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial

Add a touch of fall spice
to your home with these
fabric pumpkins.

Supplies:
-Fabric
-Fishing line or other strong thread and needle
-Stick or piece of wood
-Plastic grocery bags

Step 1:
Find something round in your house to use as a template for your pumpkin. I used one of our large dinner plates (a large serving platter would also work great).

Trace around your template.

Step 2:
Cut slightly outside the circle you just drew.

Step 3:
Sew a running stitch (along the line) around the entire circumference of the circle.

Slightly pull each end of string until the fabric begins to bunch together and form a pouch.

Step 4:
Grab a few grocery bags
(I used 3)

and stuff into the pouch you just created.

Step 5:
Send your kids on a scavenger hunt to find a small stick or piece of wood

Apply some hot glue to the end of your stick and place on top of the bags in the middle of your pumpkin.

Step 6:
Pull the two ends of your string really tight and tie into a double knot to secure.
The ends of the fabric should come right around your stick so that the grocery bags don't show.

*This is where it is important to use strong thread. I used regular cotton thread at first but it broke when I was pulling it tightly and trying to tie the knot. I went back and did it with fishing line and it worked great!

Tada!

Your very own
cute
fall
accessory.

I think it would be super cute to make a few of these with different fabrics and sizes.

*P.S. Does the fabric I used for my pumpkin look familiar?

11 comments:

sfitz said...

Those are the pants that just keep on giving!!

MadebyMeedy said...

Cute pumpkin. It would be cute in burlap too! It looks like you have been very resourceful with your fabric! I love that.

Anne said...

Great pumpkin! I love the fabric choice!!

I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-gathered-fabric-pumpkin-softie/2009/10/28/

--Anne

Kristy said...

Great project! Thanks for sharing this :)

Amy said...

So cute! And the perfect fabric too!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

I starred this project last year, and today I featured your pumpkins on my blog:

http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/09/pumpkin-patch-at-oopsey-daisy.html

Thanks for the inspiration!
~Alison

Vicki said...

Now this is a sewing project I can do! New blogger that found you via the link on the Feather Nest. Nice to meet you!

Heidi D said...

So cute and super easy! I'm loving that you used old grocery bags. I have about a million and am always looking for ways to recycle them since I refuse to throw them away. Thanks for the project idea :)

historypak said...

This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work satin fabrics

Unknown said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. babynest

Morgan said...

Besides we all know that a good night's sleep improves everything in a kid's life too. kids house bed